Monday, April 8, 2013

Lucky Man

I’m a lucky man!  Not only because I’m married to my beautiful dream girl and have two great kids.  Not only because I have a great family and wonderful friends.  Not only because I have a great life, and I look forward to each new day.  I’m a lucky man because I have Chiari Malformation Type 1!  Why would I consider myself lucky to have Chiari?  That’s an easy question to answer…Not only am I part of small exclusive group known as Chiarians, but… I only have Chiari Malformation Type 1.  Many other Chiarians have other problems which add to their pain; such as Syringomyelia or an Arachnoid Cyst.  There are many other things that Chiarians may have along with their Chiari, but I only have Chiari…I’m a lucky man!

Because I only have Chiari; I was eligible to have minimally invasive surgery in order to try and bring about some relief from my symptoms.  As Chiari blogger Michele at http://constrictedcranium.blogspot.com/ points out, we are never cured or fixed, and we will always be Chiarians.  We make the decision to have brain surgery in the hopes of getting some relief, knowing full well that the spoiled brat Chiari could sneak up on us any time it wishes to.

Thanks to that minimally invasive surgery my zipper is more like a button hole.

Here I am the day after my decompression surgery


Hey look, no more hospital gown.  This is the day I got home from the hospital one week post-op.




Below are post-op pictures of Michele from Constricted Cranium.  She also had an Arachnoid Cyst so as she said her zipper is the “deluxe model”.  Even though she has the “deluxe model” I have a feeling from reading her blog and exchanging comments with her that she considers herself lucky to have Chiari too.

Here she is the day after her decompression surgery.



Here she is 10 days post-op.




You can see from these pictures how I find it difficult to call mine a zipper when compared to her deluxe model.   Michele thanks for letting me use your pictures.
  
Please do all of us Chiarians a favor and check out as many other Chiari bloggers as you can.  Not only do we all experience Chiari differently, but all of us that chose decompression surgery experience the surgery and recovery differently.

Also please, please, please check out sites like http://www.chiariassociation.org/ and http://www.conquerchiari.org/index.html.  They have resource pages where you can find out more about Chiari, discover other Chiari bloggers and help us spread the word.  If we all educate others about Chiari then someday we won’t have to read about losing 3 Chiarians in a one week span because of “complications due to Chiari”, like we did last week.

10 comments:

  1. Mother of God...God bless you both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was me, David, Aunt Kathy. I am still reeling from Michelle's scar...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew it was you because of the "Mother of God" part :)

      Delete
  3. Dave, we are very happy with the outcome of your surgery. You hold a special place in our hearts and your family is amazing! It always helps to have those you love right there by your side step-by-step to see you through. Joyce and kids are your anchor. Stay well and stay blessed. Mrs. White

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dave for using my photos and referencing my blog. I do consider myself to be lucky to have Chiari..some days..I actually enjoy being a Zipperhead..however..other days..not so joyous. You're right.Chiari is a spoiled brat, like a jealous step-sibling..looking for attention at the one moment it has been forgotten. I'm envious of your small scar..looks like they could've closed yours with velcro..or a snap! Regardless of scar size..it's still the same difficult recovery. I pray yours is going well! Michele

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow my scar is huge comparatively speaking. It's 7-8 inches long. With the 3rd brain surgery they also put in a draining tube. I have chiairi but mine is accompanied with Syringomelia that gave me a cyst the length of my spine. The sensation I lost in my right hand to my shoulder and right side of my neck and face never fully came back. And when I developed the same symptoms 14 years later in my lady side I was devestated I would deal with it all over again. The symptoms the 2nd and 3rd time around were horrible and almost unbearable. The worst was total loss of bowel control without any warning. Luckily that went away after the 2nd & 3rd surgery. I'm saying all this to say yes the journey is never over and it may come back worse than before. But I'm not trying to sound like a downer I'm just sharing part of my journey. BTW- love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your journey. Syringomelia sounds like it adds another layer of terribleness to Chiari. I hope your health continue to improve.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to get better...3 months post op, two infections later and I finally have a painful scar. It hurts when I read, type, and watch t.v. longer than 15 minutes. My husband and children are supportive but I'm ready to feel like myself again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw your comment. I hope your starting to feel better.

      Delete
  8. Hi Dave, Can you say who your surgeon was. How are you doing now?

    ReplyDelete