Friday, September 13, 2013

Been A While

Wow it sure has been a long time since my last post! What can I say it’s been a very busy summer. Its been so long since my last post that my brother-in-law Harry finally sent me a Facebook message informing me that I needed to post something because he is sick and tired of people asking him how I’m doing. A brief note about my brother-in-law Harry; not only is he a very handsome man, he’s also a talented comedian and he has the ability to install a perfectly working storm door. Oh and he’s also an engineer, but I try not to hold that against him. I would give you a link to his website highlighting his comedic stylings but he’s too busy playing video games until all hours of the morning to create and maintain one.

Let’s move on to what really matters here…me. Like I said it’s been a very busy summer filled with work, camping trips, Little League, and lawn mowing. Work and lawn mowing may be my least favorite things from this summer but I thank God everyday that I get to do them. In my last real post I talked about how my patch is leaking and what could be done to fix it. I’m happy to inform you all that the leak seems to have resolved itself or at least slowed down to a trickle. I get occasional swelling but nothing like before. It’s been seven months since I had my surgery and I’m finally feeling better. Sure I have pain everyday, but it’s nothing compared to the pre-surgical pain and it has been a joy not having my head explode every time I bend over or sneeze. The biggest culprit now is yawning. Holy crap it’s amazing how much pain a yawn can cause. A good yawn causes my head to feel like its going to explode then immediately implode, it also causes a brief shot of dizziness and sends pain shooting down my back and into my legs. Luckily even the intense pain caused by yawning goes away quickly. So overall I can’t complain about how my remodeled brain and skull are feeling these days. My answer to the question “would you go through the surgery again” is a resounding YES!

The most bizarre thing that has occurred since my surgery is pain in my legs, which I’ve mentioned before. It’s located just below my butt cheeks and makes sitting and standing painful. I mention this because it’s the one thing that has kept me from being released from the care of my neurosurgeon. I had an appointment with him last week and for the first time ever I wasn’t kept waiting, how refreshing. Anyway, he can’t determine what the problem is so now I’m heading for another MRI, this time of my pelvic area. Did I ever mention how much I hate that damn MRI machine? Oh I did didn't I. This time there will be no head cage so I should be able to get through it without freaking out. If I’m real lucky they will stick me in feet first and my head will never enter the tube.

That’s it for now. Remember, September is Chiari Awareness Month so spread the word.

1 comment:

  1. Dave - Thanks for the update! I'm one of those people who ask about you! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete