Thursday, February 7, 2013

It's On

7:30am is when my zipper will be installed…Sweet!

I guess the [insert any derogatory term here] staff at Albany Med decided to get one last parting shot at me.  I ended up having to call them to find out what time my decompression surgery is scheduled for.  There must be a secret file on me that the support staff can see and they know I called them monkeys so they are out to make me crazy.

Anyway…I’m glad that today was a busy day at work.  Being busy helped keep my mind off the impending surgery and kept my nerves in check.  I’ve never been a patient before so the unknown is what is getting to me.  I may get the occasional case of the nerves, but then I remind myself that after I heal I will be able to lead a normal life again – although some will argue that using the word ‘normal’ in reference to myself is an oxymoron. 

A few things I’m looking forward to:

-          A good nap while under anesthesia
-          Making people wait on me
-          Really good pain meds
-          Cruising the halls of Albany Med in a wheelchair and yelling at people to get out of my way
-          Telling people that I had experimental surgery and the scar is where they implanted a GPS so I’ll never get lost
-          Going to the store and when people talk to me pretending I can’t hear them and just point to my scar
-          Bending over without my head exploding
-          Laughing without pain
-          Running around and playing with the kids
-          Hugging Joyce without loosing my balance

Tomorrow is the big day, as soon as I can post an update I will.  Thank you to everyone for your love and support.

6 comments:

  1. Thoughts and prayers are with you Dave! Please let us know if you need anything. Thinking of you! Xoxo

    Love,
    Liz, Tom and Tommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave - we are thinking of you and the family!!!!! Please keep us posted and wish we were there to give you our support!!

    Peppy and Todd

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will be thinking of you. Prayers for a successful surgery and quick recovery!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers for a speedy recovery

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Dave - Jen, here... just checking in to see how it went. I'm sure you're nicely sedated at the moment. Enjoy! They'll take the good stuff away soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dave-
    It's Michele from My Constricted Cranium, can't wait for an update from you. I'm doing well..and was actually decompressed on 1/23 instead of 1/30..can't tell you how much better I am only 2 weeks post op...your first week will be the most difficult.
    Update when you can.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete